Emily Dickinson


  For More Information > MUSEUM http://www.emilydickinsonmuseum.org/
                                     >  POEMS http://www.poetry-archive.com/d/dickinson_emily.html




  • Because I could not stop for Death

Because I could not stop for Death 
He kindly stopped for me 
The Carriage held but just Ourselves 
And Immortality.


We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility 


We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring 
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain 
We passed the Setting Sun 
Or rather – He passed Us 
The Dews drew quivering and Chill 
For only Gossamer, my Gown 
My Tippet – only Tulle 


We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground 
The Roof was scarcely visible 
The Cornice – in the Ground 

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity .

     IF I SHOULD DIE

IF  I should die,
And you should live,
And time should gurgle on,
And morn should beam,
And noon should burn,
As it has usual done;
If birds should build as early,
And bees as bustling go,--
One might depart at option
From enterprise below!
'Tis sweet to know that stocks will stand
When we with daisies lie,
That commerce will continue,
And trades as briskly fly.
It make the parting tranquil
And keeps the soul serene,
That gentlemen so sprightly
Conduct the pleasing scene!












No comments:

Post a Comment